Monday, May 30, 2011

Memorial Day

This Memorial Day hit me very hard. I do not know why. Maybe it is the hot and humid weather that got me going. All I can do is think about the wars (past and present). Sometimes it makes me want to cry, other times it makes me proud to be an American. In politics every one says "I want my soldiers home" or "I am glad that they are fighting for our freedom". I have no idea what the soldiers think of fighting a war.

So every Memorial Day, I talk to my uncle on the phone and thank him for his services in Vietnam. I thank him for giving up his time and protecting us. It almost becomes automatic- no feelings behind it.

But today as I for the first time went out to eat. Seeing the flags on poles, homes, and buildings, seeing other people walk around as if today is any other day. I am inclined to well...

What makes a soldier a hero?
One's strength?
One's courage?
A big gun?
A fast plane?
A heavy ATV?
A willingness to give anything
to protect their country?
Their beliefs?

What makes a soldier a strong?
Overpowering the weak?
A strategic plan against disorganization?
Outsmarting the ignorant?
Fighting the cowards?
Facing the unknown?
Ignoring Pain?


What makes a soldier memorable?
The noticeable battle scars?
A missing limb?
A slight limp?
Mental instability?
Sleepless nights?
Crazy rants?
Unrecognizable face?
Neat attire?
Nameless graves?

What makes a soldier a soldier?








No comments: