Sunday, January 8, 2012

A New Year, A New House, and A New School

Well things have definitely changed over the past few weeks. On December 31st I left for Brigham Young University- Idaho. My first stop was Brigham City, Utah where I stayed with a wonderful family. Of course it being Christmas/ New Years time, (almost) the entire family was there. Sister Cooper has such a wonderful family. It was nice being there. I spent New Years eating yummy Chinese food and making "New Years predictions" with them. They made predictions about where I will be serving my mission (as close to home as Ohio and as far away as Africa). It was very nice. We celebrated New Years twice (both Sister Cooper and I have family in the East so we celebrated East Coast New Years and also Mountain New Years) it was very exciting. We ended the night with them surprising me with gifts for my new apartment.

Then Monday I headed off to BYU-ID on the Salt Lake Express. I met some very interesting people on the shuttle. Upon arriving, I realized that I would have to pull all of my stuff to the apartment 3 blocks south and two blocks west of campus! The blocks are like a mile long! But some wonderful girls gave me a ride and even helped me bring the suitcases up 3 flights of stairs! I live in an awesome apartment. Well, it is actually pretty small but I like it. I have 3 housemates (Jessie and McKenzie are from Wyoming and Allysa is from New York). Me and Allysa have been getting along very well. She is so funny. She reminds of a friend that I had at SVU so it is nice.

The campus itself is so confusing! It is so big that it has its on zip code! In one of my classes there are 75 students. Other than being really big and yet at the same time having me feel claustrophobic I like this place. I like being around LDS people. I enjoy seeing guys wearing ties (sorry Mike I have not seen any Bow Ties) and opening the door for me. I especially love hearing teachers add the gospel to our conversation. Of course there are some things that I am not quite fond of (I agree that clothing should be BYU-ID approved but seriously do I HAVE to wear a BYU-ID
t-shirt to the gym?). But other than the randomness of clothing attire at the gym I can say that this university is quite awesome.

Church is another thing! Today I just about had a panic attack. No the ward is not super big (in fact we only have 120 students in the ward). The church is basically in the Institute building. This normally would not freak me out (at SVU the Institute building is also our church building); however, we do not have a chapel to have sacrament. As you already know I do not like change. This like blew me away. We have sacrament in a class room that has individual desks. We do not have pews or a podium. When people bore their testimonies, they had to do so by walking up to the front of the room and use a microphone (kind of awkward). I just have so much change happening and it is finally hitting me that I am not in Michigan and soon I will be getting my mission call (another major change). Am I ready to leave AGAIN and this time go to some place where I really do not know anyone? Yes I am ready. I am ready for the next chapter in my life.

Thank you all for your support. I know that none of this would be possible with out you all helping and supporting me.

No comments: