Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Spiritual beginning of this week and crazy last week

This week has been crazy! On Tuesday we had “Trot About Tuesday” in order to save miles this month because there are a lot of events happening that will be out of our zone. So we biked all day. It was so crazy. President Riggs came to our district meeting: no pressure. But it was great. We talked about our purpose as a missionary and some of us got to bear our testimony to each other. It was so wonderful. Because we biked we got to meet a lot of people that we normally would not see. We met a woman name Latina and we got to have a lesson with her. It was so wonderful. On Wednesday we did service at a woman’s home and I got to wrap gifts! It was so much fun. Then we had a lesson with Peter whose baptismal date has been pushed back another week. He is so great but he struggles with a lot of things. It was great to be able to bear our testimonies to him. On Saturday Peter met us at the church’s Christmas Party and then we had a lesson afterwards about his baptism and then we had another lesson with him on Sunday at a member’s home. He has been improving so much. He is willing to give up bad habits to come to know Heavenly Father even more.

On Monday, Elder Packer of the seventy came to our “Half Mission Conference.” I had the opportunity to meet with him before the conference. I got to bear my testimony to him and then he asked me a few questions about my mission. It was so great. Some things that I learned from the conference and will study are:
1.       Heavenly Father puts us in places that we can grow.
2.       Use the tools that God gives us to become like Christ.
3.       If I focus on the end result I get nothing but if I focus on change I get everything.
4.       Charity is expecting the best of everyone.
5.       Focus of the bigger picture: The Restored Gospel of Jesus Christ.
6.       Success is conversion not baptisms.
7.       Testify of Christ’s love, mercy, and Atonement.
8.       Know how to teach Moroni’s Promise.
9.       This work is too important to not do the little things.
10.   Be obedient with the right attitude.
11.   Do not be the same tomorrow as I was today.
12.   Speak the language of the Spirit.
13.   Look to God for answers/ signals.
14.   The credentials to get into the kingdom of God are baptism and temple endowment.
15.   Testimony is what I know and feel, conversion is what I do and become.
16.   I can learn, I can grow, and I can change.

A spiritual experience that I had yesterday: we went to visit a less-active in the ward and give her some goodies that the Relief Society President wanted us to deliver. When we got to the house, Sister Jeppsen felt like there was someone else that we needed to see. We thought about the people that we knew around there. First, we went to Latina (our investigator’s house) but as we got to the house Sister Jeppsen did not feel right (I do not get promptings very often). So we didn’t go. We drove around again and remembered that there was another less-active that the Relief Society wanted us to give Christmas goodies to. So we went to her house. Her daughter and younger son were home. We gave her the goodies and I felt so strongly that I should ask her if she knew that God loved her. She started crying and said that people tell her that but she doesn’t know it for herself. I was able to testify to her that He does and that she can know for herself. It was so wonderful. I have been in her shoes. I have felt like I was the only person that could hold up my family, that I have to take care of everyone and so I neglect to take care of myself. I am so busy praying for others that I forget to pray for me. I get so prideful thinking I have to take care of everyone that I am doing all of this by myself. I forget that Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ, and angels are right there with me, helping me, lifting me. It was such a great experience to be able to tell her that and to help her put her trust in Christ and know that everything is going to be okay. I never realized how strong my testimony of God and his knowledge of us were until then.

No comments: