Monday, April 15, 2013

Sharon, Meetings, Angert's Lesson, and Sister Hansen

This week has been a super crazy week. The time has just flown by. On Monday we had a lesson with an investigator named Sharon and we were able to put her on date for baptism. It is hard though because her fiancé, who she lives with, does not like the church at all. Each time we try to talk to him he leaves the house. They live next door to a family in the ward and the fiancé has told the member multiple times that he is not interest but Sharon wants this so much. We are praying about what the next step should be. I know that it will all work out the way that it should.
Then on Tuesday we had zone training and I learned a lot about how we can be better. Thursday was Return and Report and I got to see Sister Jeppsen and Sister Russell (who are also training new sister missionaries). It was so wonderful to see how much we all have grown and how our trainees are so perfect for each of us. Sister Jeppsen’s trainee is so nice, kind, gentle and loves pictures just like Sister Jeppsen. Sister Russell’s companion is super sarcastic just like Sister Russell and my companion is just crazy… just like me!
On Friday we had Sisters Training with Sister Riggs. The theme was ‘Be of Good Cheer’ which I actually noticed that I have been on cloud nine lately. It has been great, do not get me wrong training is difficult; however, I have been able to deal with the challenges. Sister Jeppsen and President Riggs counseled me to change my outlook (instead of being ‘Negative Nancy’ to be ‘Positive Pauli’) and it has worked! I have been able to really change and it has been so helpful. Especially since our area is not YET booming with investigators my excitement for tracting, street contacting, and talking to everyone has allowed for my companion to begin doing the same. I am so grateful for the advice of President Riggs and Sister Jeppsen.
Spiritual Experience:
Thursday night we had a lesson with the Angert’s (part member family) at a member’s home. Glenn has a difficult time with allowing Christ to help him with trials. He thinks that he can do everything on his own, that he does not need help form God or Christ. I felt the need to read Moroni 6:2 with them. Brother Stuart said something profound. He expounded on what “broken heart” means. He compared it to a broken horse. He said that when a horse is being broken in, at first he fights, and fights, he throws his owner off of him, he yells/ neighs, he doesn’t allow for his owner or anyone to come near him. In short, he doesn’t trust that the owner can help him; he doesn’t believe that anyone could care for him. But eventually he slowly allows for his owner to come closer, and closer, and closer, then he lets his owner ride him, and then he lets the owner guide him. We are like the horse only when we trust Christ do we let him guide us. Our broken heart is the sum of us finally allowing Christ lead and trains us. A ‘contrite spirit’ is our willingness to finally submit and let him ‘Mount Up.’ This is my paraphrasing but it was great.
Also in that same lesson, Sister Angert bore her testimony of the Atonement. She compared it to a time when she was younger and she had a beautiful necklace that her father had given her. When she took a shower and went to put her necklace back on it slipped out of her hands and into the sink. She remembered seeing her father take off the ‘U-Bend’ tube and put it back on. She tried to do it too but she could not get it back on and water started spurting, she kept trying but it just made it worse. She, defeated, went downstairs and told her father. He asked her why she didn’t just come down and tell him. She said, what any child would,: “I thought that I could do it.” He went upstairs fixed it, hugged her (because she was sad and scared and didn’t want him to be upset) and said that he would always help her. That is what Christ is to us. We break things (fall short) all of the time; then we come to Him and say: “I thought I could do it, I thought I could handle it, but I made it worse, I keep trying but I keep slipping, I need your help, you know what to do”; and He comes and fixes it, He hugs us and says: “I will always help you, you are not lost, you are not forgotten.” It was such an amazing testimony.
With the impending transfers here are some things that I have learned from Sister Hansen:
1.       She is so great with members. She loves to get to know them and find something that she can help them with. It has been great to make the member visits personal for each member.
2.       She does not sweat the small stuff. Of course it is important to get to appointments on time. However, when things do not go the right way she is okay.
3.       Her attitude: ‘Life is Great, so laugh.’ We have been able to laugh about things. Missionary work is work but it is okay to laugh. We laugh so much.
4.       She is not afraid to lead. Of course, I have to tell her: “Let’s go talk to that person.” But she then can walk confidently right up to the person and get to know them and bear her testimony of whatever they need.
5.       I have learned from her that we are not perfect but we can strive for perfection. I am just so hard on myself so much that it hinders me. I get so upset when things do not go right but she talks to me and asks what did I say or do wrong and okay let’s fix it and then move on.
I am so grateful for this companionship. I have been so blessed.
Love,
Sister Diamond Evans

No comments: