Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Mount Vernon Area

Hi!
I am proselyting in the Mount Vernon area. It is a huge area! It covers so many cities. It is; however, the most diverse of all of northern Virginia. There are tons of apartments (mostly African Americans, Africans- mostly from Ghana, and Hispanics) and they are the ones who listen to our message- but they do not follow-up on their commitments. We have invited them to read select passages from the Book of Mormon and come to church- but they never do! It is so frustrating. A ton of them also cancel appointments or shorten the lesson time without notice. We also proselyte in neighborhoods that have HUGE homes but they rarely listen to us. They usually yell from the other side of the door: "Not interested." I know that it will get better though.
I had dinner with Hallie's brother and sister-in-law and their children. Oh my goodness, they are so nice. Hallie's brother is hilarious; he made us laugh the entire time. They invited us to have dinner with them often but I do not know how often we will because Sundays are the best proselyting day in this area.
We went to the temple on Monday. Which is rare for us because we live pretty far from the temple (traffic is crazy). One of Sister Olsen's former investigators took our her endowments. It was wonderful. It was so peaceful and really helped us a ton because four of our investigators cancelled the appointment and it just gave us a boost of confidence.
The Dansko shoes that we bought hurt my feet really bad so we are going to find a store that sells cute walking shoes. I also have to get other cute shoes because the members in the ward are well-to-do and they critique our clothes and shoes all of the time. It is so frustrating. Also, I have to get more garments because our p-day changes a lot as we switch areas. But other than that I am okay.
I miss you all so much!

No comments: