Monday, March 18, 2013

Week of Adventure

This week has been a crazy week!
On Monday we had a lesson with David who lives at the formers house and told us to come back on Monday. It turns out that although he looks like a twenty something year old, he is only 17. However, he is a father of a two-year old. It is because of this life experience that he wants to meet with us. He wants to learn how to be a better father (than what he was raised with). He has had so many trials in his life. It is so sad. We also taught him on Friday. He has been so prepared. He is just so great. He goes on tangents though. He talks about the most random things: rabbis and rabies, nuclear weapons, King James and his suspected double life, etc. it is so comical how we try to relate rabies and the gospel but we do it and it always turns into the amazing spirit filled lesson.
On Tuesday we realized how big our ward boundaries are! From the Bishop’s house to Sister Fisher’s house (Relief Society President) we drove for an hour. Needless to say we learned how to plan more effectively. However, we still drive 40 miles per day. We still have 14 days to go this month and we are down to a little less than 300 miles. If you are good at math, you know that we are in trouble. The members here are so busy but we are trying to set up splits/ exchange a day so that we do not drive. Too bad here there are no sidewalks for us to walk. Craziness. I am so grateful that Sister Hansen so loves. She loves me even though I am so absent minded, even though I forget names and places, even though sometimes I forget what I am doing and when I am doing it. She is so forgiving when we go 45 miles in one day and have to walk for two hours and still go 40 miles. I love her so much. She is a bit crazy and has road rage like no one I have ever seen but she has no trouble leading in a lesson nor does she mind asking investigators to do hard things. She has such a strong testimony of God and the Atonement. She knows who she is and she knows the power of the gospel of Jesus Christ. She knows that God is a God of miracles. Oh, I just love her so. Heavenly Father has been so good to me.
On Thursday we volunteered at a member’s home. Her basement houses four elderly women and we got to play games with them. We played hang man. First off, her house is HUGE. There is a woman named Joan from England. When I told her that I wanted to have her accent she responded: “I don’t have an accent; everyone not from England has accents. You have an accent but no not me.” She is so cute and super funny. She said that we were cheating when we were playing Boggle because we got more words then her. Then she started cheating. She “found” 50 words but unfortunately they did not connect to each other and she came up with all of these words with the letter “E” but we did not have an “E” in the game. So funny. I love serving so much.
On Sunday we had dinner with the Taylor’s (a young couple0 and then found out that Brother Tim Taylor served in Detroit ten years ago 2001-2003. So cool. He actually lived just down the street from us when we lived on Schoenherr. They lived in the apartments on the other side of Schoenherr. After dinner we went to a member’s home. They are a cute older couple, the Cannon’s. Brother Cannon retired 26 years ago from the position of Top Assistant to Chief Justice Berger. No big deal. He literally has met every president and top government official you would know. He is so great. He went on and on about the coolest experiences he has had in the 16 years that he was in that position.
Spiritually I have never been better. There is something about not knowing what you’re doing and how to help the area that allows the spirit to be so abundant. I have been lifted so much by the angels who are truly guiding this work. It is so fun. I love it. The work is hard but we are working so diligently to try to increase our investigators while getting to know as many members as we can. We scheduled to see 25 members this week but were only able to see 10 because no one was home but those 10 members were so wonderful. They really want to help us in this work. We committed each of them to continue to pray for revelation and also to see who in their area needs service. I am so grateful to Heavenly Father for stretching me and getting me out of my comfort zone. I am not perfect but I am grateful for the sacred responsibility that I have to train and to whitewash. It is humbling but I am so excited to continue to see the miracles. I am doing my best to help President Riggs in this great work.

Love,
Sister Diamond Evans
1 Nephi 8: 24

No comments: