Monday, March 4, 2013

Slow Week, Training, and Transfers

This week has been a very slow week. We only had four lessons. Many of our investigators dropped us. We only have one progressing investigator. So we have spent a ton of time tracting and visiting members.
 On Tuesday we had a very comical day. Tuesday is our biking day. It was like 30 degrees and super rainy. My bike decided not to work (the gears would switch without me moving them and going uphill was so difficult because the gears kept switching).  Then it started raining so hard and the brakes stopped working. At the moment when I was so frustrated, I said a prayer and then a sister from the ward called and said that she knew that it was our bike day and asked if we needed a ride! I am so grateful that Heavenly Father answers prayers.
On Friday we had training with President Riggs and I went into the training with a question in my mind. “Transfers are next week and I am certain that I will be transferred. I am sad to leave because I do not feel that I will leave the area better than I found it. I do not feel that I did everything that I could. There is only one investigator and we still haven’t figured out how to help him progress enough towards baptism. Can you help me to feel comforted and know that everything is okay and to know that this area will be taken care of”? During the training President Riggs read Moroni 4:3 and he did it with a new light:
O God, the Eternal Father, I ask thee in the name of thy Son, Jesus Christ, to bless and sanctify this bread to the souls of all those who partake of it; that I may eat in remembrance of the body of thy Son, and witness unto thee, O God, the Eternal Father, that I am willing to take upon myself the name of thy Son, and always remember him, and keep his commandments which he hath given me, that I may always have his Spirit to be with me. Amen.
I don’t know why but it hit me so hard. It’s okay. We always make mistakes. No one is perfect.  That is why we have the Atonement. I know that this area will flourish. Things will happen.
With the impending transfer on Thursday here are some of the things that I have learned from Sister Russell:
1.       Sister Russell is a very bold missionary. She has no problem telling people the significance and importance of keeping commitments. If someone doesn’t read I get sad but I need to do more. Reading the Book of Mormon is the only way to know that Joseph Smith was called as a prophet, etc.
2.       Sister Russell is so good at talking to everyone. I, sometimes, get so timid to walk up to people who seem to be busy doing something. But she is so great at just walking up to people talking on a phone, or whatever. It’s great!
3.       Sister Russell is also phenomenal at doing How to Begin Teaching and the Preach My Gospel style invitation. I am not so good at that. I always just go straight to teaching. But I have been able to learn how to be better because of her.
4.       Sister Russell is also good at keeping member visits to the fifteen minute allotment. I am not so much. Not that I like to talk and talk to members but sometimes they like to talk and I am just too polite to end the conversation.She does not mind letting them know that we need to leave. I have been a lot better at it now.
I am grateful for all of the wonderful things that I have been able to learn from my companions.

Love,
Sister Diamond Evans
Moroni 4:3

No comments: