Monday, September 23, 2013

Joy to the World and Blitz with the YSA ward

This week has been a pretty weird week to say the least. On Tuesday we had district meeting and during our meeting we each went around the room and shared our converstion story. It was so amazing. Everyone's conversion is different yet it all has led us to the same place, a mission. I am so grateful for Heavenly Father in putting us all here and helping us to strengthen our testimonies as we serve him faithfully.
 
On Tuesday we had a lesson with a woman name Joy. She is a single mother whose husband was deported back to Mexico. She has two of the cutest boys ever! I love her so much. I am excited to continue to teach her. She really wants this gospel. She already wants t get baptized!
 
On Friday we went on an adventure trying to find a house of a former investigator. It was like craziness. We were driving up the Shenandoah Mountains almost at 1100 elevation. It was so much fun until... we didn't end up finding the house. Lame! We called but they didn't answer. So sad yet so worth it.
 
On Saturday we did exchanges with the Charlottesville YSA Sisters and then did a blitz with our zone in their area. They are struggling with finding new investigators so four other sets of missionaries and the Charlottesville YSA Elders came and we all took over Charlottesville. It was so much fun. I love serving with other missionaries. It is so much fun and you get a lot of things accomplished. That night I got a letter from my mom that freaked me out so I called President Wilson. I got a Priesthood Blessing from the zone leaders that calmed my entire frame. It was so amazing! I am so grateful for the Priesthood and that it was restored to allow for 20 year old men to administer to me and say the words that God wants to say to me.
 
Next week is going to be super crazy we have zone conference on Thursday (which we have to train at, it's going to be hilarious we hope we don't get in trouble), Tuesday/ Wednesday we will do exchanges, Friday we are going on exchanges with the Spanish missionaries, and Saturday is the day of service and the relief society broadcast! Busy, busy, busy.
 
Spiritual thoughts:
 
This week I studied both 'His Grace is Sufficient' by Brad Wilcox and 'Broken Things to Mend' by Elder Holland:
 
In Broken Things to Mend Elder Holland says:
 
 It seems clear that the essence of our duty and the fundamental requirement of our mortal life is captured in these brief phrases from any number of scenes in the Savior’s mortal ministry. He is saying to us, “Trust me, learn of me, do what I do. Then, when you walk where I am going,” He says, “we can talk about where youare going, and the problems you face and the troubles you have. If you will follow me, I will lead you out of darkness,” He promises. “I will give you answers to your prayers. I will give you rest to your souls.”
 
He continues:
Considering the incomprehensible cost of the Crucifixion and Atonement, I promise you He is not going to turn His back on us now. When He says to the poor in spirit, “Come unto me,” He means He knows the way out and He knows the way up. He knows it because He has walked it. He knows the way because He is the way.
 
I know that He hears us and He knows us. As we lean on His Atonement we can and will be healed. I know that He answers prayers.
 
As I have read the speech by Brad Wilcox one part in particular has been on my mind everyday for the past four days:
In all of these cases there should never be just two options: perfection or giving up. When learning the piano, are the only options performing at Carnegie Hall or quitting? No. Growth and development take time. Learning takes time. When we understand grace, we understand that God is long-suffering, that change is a process, and that repentance is a pattern in our lives. When we understand grace, we understand that the blessings of Christ’s Atonement are continuous and His strength is perfect in our weakness (see 2 Corinthians 12:9). When we understand grace, we can, as it says in the Doctrine and Covenants, “continue in patience until [we] are perfected” (D&C 67:13).
I constantly want to improve and get better but I find myself hitting those 'wrong notes' now I am realizing that it's okay to not be perfect right now. I need not beat myself up when I make those mistakes. I can and will be better but it does take time and it really is that process. I am so grateful for a loving Heavenly Father who helps us and who sent His Son to die for us so that we can have access to the Atonement and to His Grace.

No comments: