Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Crazy Lesson, Big Numbers, Crazy People, and the Temple!

On Tuesday we invited the Cannon’s to come for a lesson with Ficrat (an Investigator from Syria) because they have many middle-eastern friends. Well, it turned out kind of crazy. Ficrat had gotten into some Anti-Mormon literature and wanted to ask us some of the questions that he has found. It was so sad to see; however, we bore our testimonies and invited him to begin reading the Book of Mormon and told him that this book will answer every question that he has.
This week Sister Hansen and I have not been feeling very well; however, we are still working hard and are talking to EVERYONE that we see. We had 60 A.R.’s (accepts or rejects of our message). It has made a world of difference and has continued to build my faith.
This week is Transfers, Sister Hansen got the call that she is training! I am so happy for her. I know that she will do an amazing job. She is such a great missionary. She has changed a lot this transfer and it has been so great to see her become a better missionary and begin focusing her mind on the work of The Lord. I am not sure what that means for me. There will be 5 new sister areas opening so I may stay here and Sister Hansen open and train or I may open a new area with another sister. This transfer we also find out what is happening with the new mission being formed and if and how it will affect us in July. I am sure that we will be losing missionaries (we will lose Fredericksburg and Woodbridge) but we are not sure if we will lose anything else. So basically this transfer meeting is going to be BIG.
This week we had two crazy people try and ‘teach us’ the gospel.
1.       One woman use to be a member of our church but now has found Sikhism. She says that she believes that Joseph Smith was a prophet and that he translated the Book of Mormon but that the religion is formed for people who live in fear. She said that needed a prophet today is absurd yet she literally believes in being possessed by spirits and being taken away into visions. We bore our testimonies and then left.
2.       Another not all-there person should be a minister. He speaks well and really would make a great Institute teacher at BYU-Idaho or BYU-Provo. He said that he had been Jewish but one day he came across some guys who told him to ‘come, find Christ.’ He then literally had a vision and saw Christ and for the past 35 years has come and ‘Mastered’ the Bible. He in many round about ways told us that we are ‘damned’ because we do not believe in the Trinity and that we are following Satan. He said that it is because: “Satan teaches us not to Master the Bible but to Master other books.” He said that Satan has taught us to follow man and not to follow Christ. He then told us that he can help us in being ‘un-brainwashed.’ I bore my testimony and we left.
At first I was pretty angry… really super angry. How dare these people tell me that I am living in fear by believing in a prophet and how can someone tell me that I am being brainwashed and that I a damned for believing that God, Christ, and the Spirit are separate. I tried to let it go, then yesterday we went to the temple and while there I sat and pondered on these things and WHAM it hit me. How dare I let it get to me? I have the truth; I know what is right, I have prayed for myself and received the revelation that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is The Lord’s church! I did what I was supposed to do… reintroduce them to the church and bear my testimony. I repented of my anger and again went back to work better and stronger than ever before. I am so grateful for Heavenly Father teaching me. I love this work. I am grateful that I can go to the temple with questions in my heart and have them answered. I love how peaceful and calm the temple is. I am excited to get all of my investigators there! I want them to feel what I felt.
Love,
Alma 26:5
Sister Evans

No comments: