Monday, May 13, 2013

Training and Reflections

We had zone training on Tuesday and learned the art of being bold. It was great. At first I was nervous; however, as Sister Hansen and I went out and did what President Riggs asked we received miracles! We got four potential investigators over this week as we have been doing power hours (spending one hour each day finding new investigators through tracting/ street contacting) and doing more than just giving someone a pass-along card when they say that they are not interested. In February I made a determination to follow all of President Rigg’s counsel (I know, super late) and it really has helped. I have seen so many miracles by just doing what he says.
On Friday and Saturday I was trained by Sister Berg. She is one of the missionaries who train the sisters. We went on a 24-hour exchange together. She is so wonderful. She taught me so much. I am so grateful that she came here and helped me find out ways to make this area better. We came up with a plan to rebuild the Great Falls Ward and it is working!
During the end of the exchange she made a comment that got my brain thinking. She asked something to the effect of how I got to the point where I am now as a missionary. You see I wasn’t always the bubbly and happy missionary that I am now. I told her about Sister Jeppsen and how amazing she is and how I have patterned myself after her. Well last night I got to thinking more about that. I remember that I struggled a lot with who I was at that time. I felt super inadequate in that companionship. Sister Jeppsen is amazing! She is a wonderful missionary so I always felt that I was in the back seat to her. I remember one day in January feeling so unneeded and going to President Riggs in an email and telling him how I felt. He said something like I need to forget myself and get lost in the work. I remember being so upset at him and crying my eyes out that night and wanting to go home. Well, as you know if someone tells me to do something I usually do it even if I don’t like it. It took me a few months but I began to devote ALL of my time in the work. I didn’t think about myself but I thought about my investigators. I thought about how amazing of a missionary Sister Jeppsen is. I thought about the things that made her amazing and began implementing them into my life. Sister Jeppsen taught me how to pray (not just the mode of prayer but how to pour my heart out in prayer). She taught me how to love (not just to say I love you but to be willing to give anything for someone to learn what the things that I know to be true). She taught me how to trust in God (to not just believe in Him but to trust that He knows me and He will direct me). She taught me how to work hard and have fun at the same time. She taught me what real happiness is and how to achieve it. Most importantly she taught me how to repent, or change, for the better. I am grateful for President Riggs’ loving counsel and for the example of Sister Jeppsen. Of course I am not her but I have learned who the real me is and it is due to her that I am achieving the potential that God, and President Riggs, sees in me.
Love,
Sister Diamond Evans
Mosiah 5:7

No comments: