Monday, May 6, 2013

Sister Bradshaw came to church and a baptism!

To make up for the super long letter last week, here are just two experiences that have happened this week.
On Wednesday we had a lesson with Sister Bradshaw (the less-active) again. It was phenomenal. I was thinking a lot about the training from Elder Ritchie and decided to talk to her about it. We centered the lesson on her being: “The glue that keeps the church together.” We bore our testimonies on how important and loved she is by God. We then recommitted her to coming to church and meeting Bishop Richardson. She came! She brought her mother from the Vienna Ward and the testimonies and lessons were all directed to her. It was just so amazing. After church she met with Bishop (for an hour!) and when she came out of the room her continence was so beautiful. I am so grateful for the prompting that we had to visit her after the dinner with the Robert’s.
Friday night we got a phone call from the Mount Vernon Sisters (where I started my mission a year ago) saying that one of my previous investigators was getting baptized! I met Annette my very first week in the field. I spent my entire five months there getting grey hair because of her. She was so wonderful but she had been through so many trials and tribulations in her life. She was now a grandmother raising two pre-teen grandchildren and in an awful relationship. We did everything to try to help her see her divine worth. We put her on date for baptism twice. She had even been to a baptism and was ready to be baptized the final time and then Satan got a hold of her. Sister Anderson and I spent month after month trying to help her and fasting for her; however, eventually she dropped us. Imagine the tears and the shouts when I got that phone call. On Saturday (the next day) I had the opportunity to go to her baptism and speak. It was so amazing. I am so grateful for all of the ward support that she got. She bore such powerful testimony in the end. She said that she can see who she is and become who God wants her to be. She knows that she can grow and become better. She knows that she is a daughter of God.  I am so happy for her.
I wanted to close this letter by bearing my testimony. I know that Heavenly Father knows us more than we do. He knows when we are ready to hear the gospel, when we are ready to change, and when we need Him the most. In Relief Society the lesson was on “Search Me, O God, and Know My Heart” by President Lorenzo Snow. I got to bear my testimony on how Heavenly Father strengthens us in our weaknesses. One year ago when I entered the mission field I would say that I was less than thrilled. I did not like talking to people; I got easily overwhelmed; I did not like being told what to do; and I definitely did not like change. While I still struggle a little with each, I have seen the Lord work in me. I have grown a lot more than I ever have. Even with my weaknesses I have been used as a vessel of the Lord. How cool is that? Even though we are so imperfect Heavenly Father uses us for good. I am so grateful for the chances that I have to change and to become better. I am grateful that He sees what I lack and He provides. I am grateful for a loving Father in Heaven who knows exactly how to help me improve.
Love,
Sister Diamond Evans
Mosiah 5:8

No comments: