Monday, February 11, 2013

Interesting Week

This week has been a wonderful week. I have noticed Heavenly Father’s hand in this work because I do not know the area and we have a certain mile allotment each month, that I do not want to go over, I have been praying so hard to have Heavenly Father help me in determining where we need to go, how long do we need to be there, and who do we need to meet/ see. It has been so wonderful! On Monday we had “Half Day trot-about Tuesday (6pm- 9pm) and it was wonderful. We had a member go out with us and we had a great lesson with the Turners.
On Trot-About Tuesday we got a new investigator named Loy while tracting. She said that she only let us in because our name tags say “Jesus Christ” we got to teach her the Restoration. She said that it was exactly what she needed. She is awesome. Then we went on exchanges and had success with member visits and teaching Peter. On Thursday we had another wonderful lesson with Peter this time Brother Elliott (a recently reactivated member) got to help us. Brother Elliott was awesome and he thanked us for turning his “bad day” better.
On Friday we began teaching our first family the Parks. We met them while tracting. It was awesome. We saw them leaving their house, we stopped them, they looked at our name tags and said come back between 7:30 and 8pm, we did and we taught them the Restoration. The husband is very interested. They go to the United House of Prayer for All People church and they say that it is super similar to our church. Then on Saturday we met their adult son, Nikkolas, and made him a new investigator as well. It was awesome how we met him. We were finishing tracting their street (after daily contacting them) and the last house that we went to dog came running out of the door. So we began helping the dog sitter catch him. Then Nikkolas (who the day before came home while we were teaching his parents and went in the basement) stopped Sister Russell and asked if he could get a pass along card like the one we gave his parents. We taught him the Restoration right there on the spot and he said that he would be at the lesson that we set-up with his parents!
Heavenly Father really is in this work. I am so grateful to be one of the instruments by which he works. Saturday night I had a really interesting experience. We went to check on a headquarters referral (at about 6:30). We called him and set-up the appointment. We were so excited because from the telephone call that we gave to him he seemed so interested. When we got there he came out and began talking to us and immediately I got a very strong and distinct impression that we needed to leave. I thought that it was a joke (I have never gotten an impression like that before) but as we continued to talk to him (nothing out of the ordinary, just nice conversation) and then I got the impression again so then I interrupted Sister Russell and asked him if we could meet at the church at a better time. Then his eyes kind of went dark and he very reluctantly said sure and I asked if he could meet us at the church. Nothing happened, we walked away after getting the return appointment. I told Sister Russell what I felt and she said that she did not get that impression. I am not sure why I got it and she didn’t but I am grateful for following the Spirit. Then we went tracting again in another neighborhood to finish the night. We walked pass a couple heading home and then we went back and as we walked up the stairs I felt again that we needed to leave this time the feeling was super slight, subtle. Because I didn’t feel the strong impression, that I had felt only thirty minutes before, I chose to shrug it off. I took it as just my reaction to the guy that we met earlier and just being “jumpy.” Well the guy said really rude things to us. He called us “stupid” for walking around at night. He just wasn’t very nice.
I am so sorry for not heeding the promptings of the Spirit. But I am grateful for learning the lesson that I needed.
In my personal studies I have been studying the talk: “Preparation in the Priesthood: ‘I need your Help’” By President Eyring. I felt really strongly that I needed to study it, which was weird since I am not a Priesthood holder. However, it was wonderful. I really needed it. I have been feeling so overwhelmed at my calling as a missionary and in taking over an area. I felt really inadequate, as I do not know the area and everyone loving Sister Jeppsen. But it was great to read the talk and see that I am needed and I am loved but I must continue to be humble so that I can be taught all of the things that Heavenly Father needs of me. It has been humbling in seeing all of my flaws lay out there (spiritually and physically) but there is no other place I’d rather be. I love my mission and I love teaching others.
Love,
Sister Diamond Evans
3 Nephi 11:15

No comments: