Monday, February 4, 2013

Low Lessons, Transfers, and New Beginnings

This week a ton of our appointments fell through! It was so sad but I am grateful for the three new investigators that we got this week. They are super solid as well. Two of them are best friends and have been searching to find the truth! We had a wonderful lesson with them on Friday at the church. Brother Elliott came with us and he bore his testimony. It was so powerful. I love teaching at the church and going into the chapel and talking about the sacrament. The Spirit is so strong.
On Wednesday to kick off the new missionary focus of Mutual we were asked to teach the Young Women. We taught them the Restoration and then had them teach it to each other. It was so fun and then we had the Laurels bear their testimonies. It was so wonderful.
I am still here in Centreville and my new companion is Sister Russell. She is from the City of North Salt Lake. She has been out for six months. It is so hard taking over an area. I realize that I do not know the area very well. It is so hard. But I know that things will get better. I am relying on the Lord to direct me and this work. This is His work I am just his instrument.
On Saturday I had the privilege of going to Mount Vernon and see the baptism of Rob Erwin! I have been waiting for so long for him to be baptized. We began teaching him in July; however, he works for the Nationals and is always super busy so we would end up going weeks before we could teach him. Then he decided he wanted to go to Utah and be “fully immersed” in the Mormon culture. Well on Tuesday I got a text message from the Mount Vernon sisters saying that Rob came back and wants to get baptized on Saturday! And one of the “witnesses” of the baptism was David Velasquez (one of my recent converts)! I was so excited and thrilled. Of course, Friday morning I woke up to a sad thought… I lost my camera! I have no idea where it is. Oh well, there were like one hundred million people taking pictures so I am sure that I will get some.  
I have finally finished studying Jesus of Nazareth, Savior and King:
·         Stretching our soul: with tests, trials, prayers, etc.
·         Personal possibilities: Christ teaches me that I am important and there is a purpose to this life.
·         Little universes of experience: birth, school, dating, graduation, working, mission, etc.
·         I have been pondering on: Am I always being bold or am I sugar coating the truth? Am I managing my time as a missionary? Am I working hard? Am I talking to everyone?
·         He complemented Heavenly Father so gracefully: I am about my father’s business; He whom sent me; came to do my father’s will
·         He honored Heavenly Father so constantly: Did the Atonement like God asked; Christ was baptized to fulfill all righteousness.
·         He trusted in God so completely: Not my will but thine be done.
I have been studying Doctrine and Covenants with the Seminary Guide and it has been eye opening:
In section 17 it talks about the three witnesses and Elder Bruce R. McConkie says: “One of the most solemn oaths ever given to man is found in these words of the Lord relative to Joseph Smith and the Book of Mormon ‘he has translated the book, even that part which I have commanded him, saith the Lord, and as you Lord and your God liveth it is true.’ This is God’s testimony of the Book of Mormon. In it Deity Himself has laid His Godhead on the line. Either the Book is true or God ceases to be God. Their neither is nor can be any more formal or powerful language known to men or gods.
I never thought of it that way.
I am so excited for the second half of my mission! I look forward to the trials and the triumphs that will proceed. Next transfer I am more than likely going to train. There are only four sisters not training this transfer and there are like a bazillion sisters coming in. I am both excited and nervous about the prospect but I am excited that Heavenly Father and President Riggs trusts me enough to allow me to do so. And I am grateful that I am not right now because I am learning to become humble enough to be teachable. I am not quite there yet. I still need some time.
Love,
Sister Diamond Evans
Scripture 1 Nephi 15:24
Quote: Elder Neal A. Maxwell: “Real disciples absorb the fiery darts of the adversary by holding aloft the quenching shield of faith with one hand, while holding to the iron rod with the other…. There should be no mistaking; it will talk both hands.”

No comments: