Monday, February 4, 2013

What I Have Learned from Sister Jeppsen

With the impending transfer on Thursday and the chance of me and Sister Jeppsen parting (she has been here for six months and there are about fourteen new sisters coming in) here are a few thoughts on the things that I have learned from her:
1.      Sister Jeppsen has an excitement for missionary work unlike anyone I have ever seen! She just loves to find and teach people. She is always happy to run to the other side of the street to talk to someone. She just loves to share with others our beliefs. I love to see her eyes light up whenever we see someone that we can talk to. It has been so wonderful to see myself start to catch that fire.
2.      She loves with all of her heart. I am a natural safe guarder of my heart but she is an open book. She loves to tell people how much she loves them and how much Heavenly Father loves them. It has become easier for me to tell others that Heavenly Father loves them. And I have noticed how much easier it becomes for me then to ask the investigators or members to do hard things (like stop drinking coffee or to meet with the bishop to start becoming worthy to partake of the sacrament).
3.      Sister Jeppsen is also very good at making analogies. Like with the organization of the church (like military ranking), authority (ice cream man and police man writing a ticket), etc. She is just so good at also making it relevant to them.
4.      Sister Jeppsen is really good at using church quotes as a teaching tool. I have never done that before. I use it as a spiritual thought for dinner with members but I have never used them in teaching a lesson. It has been really cool to see her use them with members and investigators.
5.      She is definitely positive Pauly whereas I am more of a negative Nancy. It’s more of me being vocal with how I am feeling but I can tell that not everyone wants to know what’s going on in my head. So I have been learning the past few weeks how to focus on what’s going right than what’s going wrong. I am learning to balance it because you want to know what’s going wrong so that you can change but you don’t need to dwell on it.
It really has been a great experience with being in Centreville with Sister Jeppsen. I am so thankful that we got to be together for the holidays. I am learning so much about myself in having companions. While it is still taking some getting used to being with someone you do not know, who is different from you it has been rewarding as well.
This past week I have been trying to focus wholeheartedly on nothing but my area (personal counsel from President Riggs). During breakfast, lunch, and dinner instead of resting I have been pondering what my area needs. My personal study time has also been completely geared towards them and not myself. I have been trying to be the missionary that he and Heavenly Father want of me and it has been and interesting journey. It really has been good for my area.
This week was a successful week. We had 16 lessons and got 8 new investigators. I cannot believe that I am almost halfway done with my mission. Time really does fly by!
Love,
Sister Diamond Evans
2 Nephi 4: 32-33

No comments: