Monday, June 10, 2013

Adventures in Aquia!

This week has been such a crazy week here in good ole Aquia! I love this area so much. We have been working really hard on strengthening our investigators and finding new investigators. On Monday while checking on a TON of potentials we got super lost and ended up in a different zone! Craziness. On Wednesday we had a lesson with the Hodge Family (a less-active family that I worked with the last time that I was here) and it was so wonderful to see Sister and Brother Hodge bear there newly rekindled testimony to their son Aiden who is getting baptized next week!
 
Thursday night (literally at 8:30pn) we felt super prompted to visit a member and it was such a blessing. The wife was home all alone and was struggling. She is a newlywed and this is the very first time in her entire life that she has not been near her family who all live in Florida. The night before she locked her keys in the car and realized that she had noone to call. Her husband is in the military and was in training so she couldn't get a hold of anyone. They have only lived here for a few months and just got orders that they are moving again so she hadn't quite made any friends. She got it all figured out and was just still shaken up. We got to comfort her and talk to her and find out who her visitin teachers are and get them involved in continuing to fellowship them before they leave. I am so grateful to Heavenly Father for putting us in the right place at the right time.
 
Well, Saturday was another adventure. After visiting a less-active and then asking two member families if they had received revelation, we began heading to out next appointment. As we were driving away and doing a U-turn we hit the curb: It was kind of funny. We were still laughing and drove about three or four streets when Sister Silva said: "check tire pressure." The light had come on. I got out the car and yep a HUGE gash was in in the tire and part of the rim was bent. It was so weird because we have hit curbs before and this impact was literraly less than anyother impact. Of course we began panicking (after laughing hysterically) after remembering how scared Sister Morley was when she locked her keys in the car at night. But divine assistance was there! The day before we filled up our gas tank (it was on 'E'); we were in a lighted area; the gas station was literally across the street; and we were not on a dangerous curve like most of our area is; and Brother Marshall (our Ward Mission Leader) was just working on his motoercycle so he had tools out and was dressed appropriately. It all worked out so magnificiently. You have to understan three of the five portions of our area are in the middle of nowhere and it is no coincidence that we decided to change our 8 pm schedule to stay in the one portion of our area that is on a busy road with many stops. Hevenly Father is so aware of us! Also, because it was just after 8pm and we were just going to do an hour of finding we did not really miss much. Heavenly Father is so great!
 
Another spiritual thought:
 
On Thursday night I got a letter from my mother saying that my aunt Pat died; her boyfriend was shot in the head; her daughter Fairline was shot in the eye; my cousin Ray was shot multiple times in the stomach; and Ray's daughter was shot in the leg after someone got 'offended' at my aunt for telling a woman's child to leave my aunt's home. Friday I got a priesthood blessing from my district leader. On Sunday I still felt mixed emotions. I struggle a lot with not only feeling inadequate and unloved. All I know is Detroit so I can only speak for them but I was overwhelmed in feeling like terrified for all of my family. Like why is my city suffering? My heart was just so racked with pain. During the sacrament yesterday I poured out my heart and soul to Heavenly Father pleading for peace and comfort and to know what to do. I then opened the scriptures to Doctrine and Covenants and reread portions of section 105 and I felt an overwhelming feeling of peace. I am so grateful to partake of the sacrament each week and feel renewed as I receive the spirit in abundance. I know that the Lord is with me and that He is fighting for me and for those that I love.
 
Sister Diamond Evans
Doctrine and Covenants 105:14

No comments: