Monday, June 24, 2013

What I Have Learned from President Riggs


I just realized that this will be my very last email to President Riggs. I don't know if he will get it or not; however, here it goes.
With the switch of missions here are some things that I have learned from President Riggs:
1. Everything!
2. He most importantly taught me how to allow the healing power of the Atonement come into my life. The Atonement covers everything not just transgressions and I have seen that in his life. I don't get to serve around him very often but when I do get to see him I cannot help but notice how much he trusts in the Savior to help him to become better. It has given me the knowledge that I can go to the Lord for everything.
3. I learned from him the blessings of obedience. He stresses that obedience brings blessings. He does not tell us that we need to be obedient in order to be in line with the mission rules but that we need to be obedient if we want to receive all that God has. I love the way that he teaches it because at first I just followed the rules because I had to (compelled to abe humble) but not out of the goodness of my heart. Now I understand the significance. The Lord wants to bless us but he can only do so if we are obedient.
4. I also learned from President Riggs what true love is (Charity). President Riggs is a great example of the Christ-like attribute charity. I could see that from the moment I had my very first interview with him. He knew my name, where I was from, and many other things about me. He took the time to really get to know us (even before he was here on the mission). From that moment on I could trust him with everything. He is very interested in who we are and our progression.
5. I learned from President Riggs how to be patient. Oh my goodness he has been so patient with me! He lovingly corrects and I mean lovingly. But he allows for us to find our own way. It has been so wonderful.
 
Sincerely,
Sister Diamond Evans

No comments: