Friday, August 14, 2009

Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome

I was diagnosed with PCOS on April 9th, a day before I went to California. Unfortunately, the gyn I went to cost $75 for an office visit and everything was happening so fast that I never got the chance to go back. I did however, read a lot about PCOS and I still can not really tell you everything about it. I do know that it is when your ovaries are covered in cysts due to having a lot of male hormones with your female hormones. I know that some people with it can not have children and have acne, weight gain, irregular menstrual cycles, and hair on places that you don't want hair on. It is not curable, but it is treatable. The main treatment you get is birth control pills and a visit to a nutritionist.
Because, I never went back to the gyn, I got sever pains to my stomach 3 days ago and was rushed to the hospital. They told me that my left ovary had a cyst which is measured in 8 cm and it was leaning in a very bad direction. I had to choose between doing the surgery and not going to college because I would be on bed rest for 6 weeks or postponing the surgery for a few months. The pain was actually from constipation.
I chose to postpone the surgery, but if the pain doesn't subside I have no choice but to go through with the surgery. The doctor let me know who my new gyn would be in Virginia and gave me a few numbers to nutritionists near the university to help me choose a diet and exercise plan to help.
They say that if you lose weight and eat healthy you are least likely to have big cysts.
So please pray for me and wish me luck!

No comments: